In cooperation with nearly a dozen interested organizations, Midcoast Youth Hockey Association is pleased to announce the creation of a new multi-sport facility to open in the Fall of 2019 as Brunswick Landing Arena. This interim facility will feature an indoor, refrigerated 2/3 scale training rink – the first of its kind in Maine. Popular in the hockey strongholds of Minnesota and Massachusetts, training rinks are a cost-effective and fun way to increase ice time for everyone, including recreational skaters of all ages, beginner youth hockey players, competitive travel hockey teams, high school teams, and adult hockey leagues. The facility will also include two dedicated curling sheets for this growing winter sport. Brunswick Landing Arena will be open to the public and accessible to everyone for a variety of four-season activities including indoor space for lacrosse, softball, baseball, soccer, roller skating, and more when the ice is out during the spring, summer, and fall.
The Plan is simple:
- Act Now: To build a cost-effective, fully enclosed fabric building and four-season, multi-use recreation facility that will meet high demand recreational needs in our community beginning in Fall 2019.
- Create Momentum and Build Value: Components purchased now will be put to immediate use (Zamboni, chiller, rink boards, the 100’x175’ fabric building, sports floor, and more) and will also be put to future use in the permanent facility anticipated to open in Fall 2021 after land designated for recreation is transferred from the Navy in 2020.
- Partner Toward the Ultimate Vision: Work with regional community organizations, leaders, and municipalities to build a first-class recreational facility at Brunswick Landing to ultimately include a full-size permanent rink and curling sheets alongside other community assets such as an outdoor pool, playing fields, trails, and more.
How will we do it?
Who: Brunswick Landing Arena is a collaboration between Midcoast Youth Hockey Association and more than a dozen community youth sports and recreation organizations. Midcoast Youth Hockey will lead as an established 501c3 non-profit charity with a fifty-year history serving our local community.
What: Brunswick Landing Arena is a fully enclosed, multi-purpose recreation facility featuring a 2/3 scale refrigerated hockey training rink, two dedicated curling sheets, and heated changing areas from November to March. In the warmer months, the facility will pivot to provide enclosed space for lacrosse, softball, baseball, soccer, roller skating, and more from April to October.
Why? For the benefit of all those who enjoy an active lifestyle of healthy four-season activities. Each week from late October to early March we estimate 250 youth hockey players, 80 High School hockey players, 50 adult hockey players, more than 100 figure or recreational skaters, and 100 curlers will use the arena multiple times each week for a combined 1,300 hours of healthy fun each week of Maine’s long, cold winter. The facility will be extra busy with field sports in March and April until outdoor practice fields become available.
Where: A multi-year lease at Brunswick Landing is ideally situated with easy access to Brunswick, Bath, Harpswell, Topsham, and surrounding communities.
When: Now! Preparations are underway to build in the summer of 2019 and open in Fall 2019.
How Much? The total cost to open the facility will be just under $1M. A lead gift is in hand, and a package of philanthropic gifts, grants, and financing is being assembled to purchase the major components. Our near term goal is to sign the lease and purchase the building by March 1, 2019. This is the moment the community has awaited for decades – to have a facility for children, youth, and adults to pursue healthy activities in our regional community all year long. We need your help now! Please consider a gift that will reflect what this facility will mean to your family and our community. Recurring donations can be set up through our donate tab so you can spread your gift out over time. We are looking for grassroots donations from the local hockey, skating, curling, and entire youth sports community to raise at least $150,000. Thank you for considering supporting this exciting new venture!
Interested Organizations & Potential Users:
- Midcoast Youth Hockey Association
- Eight Midcoast Region High School and Middle School Hockey Programs*
- Bowdoin College Curling Team plus Curling Clubs and Learn to Curl Events
- Skating Club of Brunswick
- Area Youth and Adult Soccer programs
- Youth Lacrosse
- Area Youth Baseball and Softball Programs
- Public Skating
- Roller Skating
- Floor & Roller Hockey
- Rentals and event space
*Midcoast Region High School and Middle School Hockey Programs: