The local skating and curling communities are pleased to announce the creation of an outdoor skating venue that will operate approximately February 2 – March 11, 2019 weather permitting. This fun 40’x125’ outdoor skating rink will build momentum for Brunswick Landing Arena, a community recreation facility that will open with a covered, refrigerated 2/3 scale training rink and two dedicated curling sheets in October 2019. The purpose of “Frozen Runway 2019” is to have some fun skating and curling and raise awareness of the Brunswick Landing Arena fundraising campaign.
Located off Pegasus Street at Brunswick Landing, the Frozen Runway is separate from, but will share a parking lot with, Flight Deck Brewing which provides the opportunity to warm up and share some food and drink after enjoying a skate or curling game. Special curling times will be designated to try curling.
Free public skating (bring your own skates) will be available at hours posted here. Check back before your visit to see if the rink is open. Stay tuned for news about special weekends that will be dedicated to pond hockey tournaments and try curling events.
Pond hockey tournaments (40×60 rink w. pocket goals) will be organized focused on local community participation including:
- Youth age brackets
- Girls Pond Hockey Festival – ages high school to beginner
- Adult pond tournaments – Friendly!
Learn-to-curl events will be held February 15-17 when the rink will be closed to skating and will feature try curling / curl with the Polar Bears events. Curling snow dates are February 22-24.
Cost and construction details: Volunteers will lead construction and maintenance. In-kind and cash donations are being sought and sponsors will be featured with signs at the Frozen Runway and on the Brunswick Landing Arena website. Donations will be received by Midcoast Youth Hockey Association, a 501c3 non-profit.
Lead Sponsor cash gift:
- $5,000 Lead Sponsor – Available! Featured placement on all signage and website.
In-kind material donation opportunities:
- Lumber – Plywood and framing lumber and hardware (Thank You Hancock Lumber!)
- Plastic liner – 8 mil to hold water.
- Water – trucked in approx. 20,000 gallons – (Thank you Poland Spring!)
- Electric – LED flood lights on 4×4 posts with white string light wraps on posts. (Thank You Gilman Electric!)
- Snow clearing machinery – Tractor, snow blower, etc.. (Thank You Chad Little Outdoor Power Equipment!)
- Electricity for lights & water to resurface (Thank you Flight Deck Brewing!)
- Signs and posters – To thank sponsors and promote Brunswick Landing Arena (Thank You High Point Graphics!)
- Small party tent for tournament time. (Still needed)
Sponsorship opportunities for Frozen Runway will be limited to a $5,000 lead sponsor and cash or in-kind gifts specific to the Frozen Runway valued at $500 or more. Business donations not specific to the Frozen runway are being accepted for recognition in Brunswick Landing Arena and will be visible immediately on the website and at the Arena when it opens in October 2019. It is hard to predict but we aim to make a splash and attract several thousand visitors along with media coverage.